The Senior Driver Refresher Course is recommended for seniors who either… Have lost their driving license due to an at fault collision, OR: Are of age 80+ and due for renewal of their class G driver’s license.
Ontario’s senior driver programs aim to keep seniors driving for as long as they can safely do so.
Once drivers reach 80 years of age, every two years they must:
- Take a vision test
- Undergo a driver record review
- Participate in a 45-minute Group Education Session (GES)
- During the GES, complete two, brief, non-computerized in-class screening assignments
- If necessary, take a road test
- This entire renewal process will take a total of about 90 minutes.
Please note that this is a licence renewal program. Existing and valid licenses will be not revoked, but all requirements need to be met before your licence is renewed.
SENIOR DRIVING REFRESHER
- 45 minute in-vehicle instructors
- Evaluation of current skills
- Review of traffic rules and regulations
- Refresher of parking, lane changes, and blind spots
- Proposed plan to meet MTO’s insurance requirements
- Prepare for road test, or clinical theory and practical evaluation