The Senior Driver Refresher Course is recommended for seniors who either… Have lost their driving license due to an at fault collision, OR: Are of age 80+ and due for renewal of their class G driver’s license.
Ontario’s senior driver programs aim to keep seniors driving for as long as they can safely do so.
Once drivers reach 80 years of age, every two years they must:
- Take a vision test
- Undergo a driver record review
- Participate in a 45-minute Group Education Session (GES)
- During the GES, complete two, brief, non-computerized in-class screening assignments
- If necessary, take a road test
- This entire renewal process will take a total of about 90 minutes.
Please note that this is a licence renewal program. Existing and valid licenses will be not revoked, but all requirements need to be met before your licence is renewed.
SENIOR DRIVING REFRESHER
45 minute in-vehicle instructors
Evaluation of current skills
Review of traffic rules and regulations
Refresher of parking, lane changes, and blind spots
Proposed plan to meet MTO’s insurance requirements
Prepare for road test, or clinical theory and practical evaluation